Monday, March 21, 2011

SPRING BREAK

Most of the activities that happened this week involved me (Linda) and the kids, so I get the pleasure of writing our blog. I must say, it was nice to sleep in and and just play for the week.

So, what did our fun include? I'm not sure what the kids would start the list with, but since I'm writing this I get to pick and so, my favorite thing was . . . . Huh, who knew I wouldn't be able to pick a favorite? I guess I'll just have to go in order.


Eisenhower Park


We started and ended the week by heading to Eisenhower Park. This park is best known for it's hiking trails, and that is what we went for. On Monday we tried one of the shorter trails and gave the kids a taste of hiking. On Friday we branched out and tried a combination of trails that were just a bit longer and we took Annie (the dog) along as we hiked. We had a picnic lunch both days about halfway through the trail and that allowed everyone the rest they needed to finish up (Okay, maybe the kids didn't need a rest, but I did!). The kids did really well on both days and I was really impressed by the quality of the trails. Because the weather was cool I almost felt like I was hiking in the mountains. Before heading for home we stopped at the playground and the kids tested their rock climbing abilities on a great rock climbing wall.

Children's Museum


The San Antonio Children's Museum was doing some special things for Spring Break, so we picked a day that had some activities the kids wanted to do and headed down there. The activities for the day included a science experiment that involved Mentos candy causing Diet Coke to shoot to the ceiling and an art project using fingers and bubblewrap to stamp a beehive and bees. A new science area had been added since our last visit and we were all anxious to see it. It lived up to all of our hopes and the kids had a blast exploring electricity, earthquake tables with building blocks, lego racetracks and making tissue paper butterflies fly. Of course, we also had to stop and the ball exhibit and the fabulous grocery store. It's a fun place to visit and definitely gives me an appreciation for peace and quiet when we leave!





Service Project


On Thursday I took the kids to help a widow in our ward with some yard work. I said work, they would say that they played. They raked leaves, trimmed bushes, filled birdfeeders and bird baths, picked-up sticks and small branches, vacuumed her car, ran in the house talking 100 miles an hour, ran out of the house (still talking 100 miles an hour), ran in, ran out, ran in . . . .
Anyway, Grandma Janie enjoyed watching the children running around and they thought that she was very funny. Overall, it was a very successful service project that was all the better for the fun that was had throughout.


Camping Out


During all of the craziness of the week, John had to go on a business trip. This bummed the kids out, of course, so I had the crazy idea to pull out the tent and camp in the backyard. We needed to waterproof the seams anyway, so I thought I would kill two birds with one stone. Our tent is rather large and this was the first time that we had put it up, so it was a bit of an adventure, but in the end it was done. We all camped in the yard Thursday night and Hunter, Taylor and Nathan camped out again Friday night. AnnaLynn was not feeling well, and I had a soft bed upstairs and am not totally crazy yet so we slept inside. I think that we can safely say that the tent is large enough for our needs and hopefully it will get used lots over the next few years. Just to prove that I am not totally crazy, I waited for John to come home before taking the tent down so that I wouldn't have to do it by myself!



Well, I think that about sums the week up. Overall, it was a fabulous Spring Break and now it's time for school once again!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a very enjoyable vacation. Camping is awesome! Love, Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, sounds like a very fun week. Glad you had a good time together.

    ReplyDelete